Sentry Page Protection
Road and Street Names
Extracts from A History of Rangoon
by B.R. Pearn, published 1939
May Oung Rd.
St. John’s Rd.
Sitke Maung Tawlay St.
U Ohn Ghine Rd.
Sir Harvey Adamson, Lt.-Governor 1910-1915
G.E. Barr, Asst. Commissioner, formerly Sitke St., at Moulmein.
From the shape of the road.
Residence of Burmese Brokers.
Capt. Brooking of the Company’s warship “Proserpine.”
A Capt. Budd served in Tenasserim from Oct. 1834-Oct. 1835 as Commandant of a Talaing Corps that was never actually raised, there is no record of his serving in Pegu.
Leading to the camping ground or maidan.
Perhaps in recollection of Sir Archibald Campbell but the name was not allotted till 1904.
Cantonment Cemetery - now Queen Victoria Avenue.
Brigadier Sir John Cheape.
The Chinese merchants who settled in the Taroktan quarter. Sitke Maung Khine St. U Khine, son-in-law of U Tawlay, who was Magistrate of Twante after 1852 and died there in 1864.
Lord Randolph Churchill? Secretary of State 1885-1886.
St. John’s and Baptist Colleges.
Charles Malcolm Crisp, Postmaster and later Assessor of Income Tax.
From the diagonal position of the road.
Culvert over Theinbyu Creek.
Commissariat Offices, now Newlyn Rd.
Marking the eastern limit of the town: renamed Judah Ezekiel St. in 1877 in memory of a Jewish gentleman who left a sum of money for the improvement of the town.
Ashley Eden, Chief Commissioner 1871-1875.
Robert Samuel Edwards, Collector of Customs, who was apparently of negro blood and said to have been once a slave, served in a clerical capacity in Madras, Penang and Moulmein and acted as interpreter during the war of 1852, as also during the period of the Residency.
A firm named Fontenoy existed in Calcutta in the 1860’s but no connection with Rangoon has been discovered.
Formerly property of the Forest Depot.
J. Forsyth, Superintending Surgeon.
E.C. Foy, Municipal Engineer, 1903-1907.
Sir Frederick Fryer, Chief Commissioner 1895-1897, Lt.-Governor 1897-1903.
Sir Albert Fytche, Chief Commissioner 1867-1871.
General Sir Henry Thomas Godwin.
F.F. Goodliffe, of Messrs. Barnett, member of the Municipal Committee 1913-1921.
From the circumstance that grass for gharry ponies was sold there?
Joseph Heap, Merchant.
Chief Engineer, Burma Railways, who supervised the construction of the original line.
Residence of the Railway Officer of that name.
Burmese name for the Victoria Lake.
William Kennedy, Irrawaddy Flotilla Co.
Lt.-Col. J. Lancaster? I.M.S., who served in Burma 1874.
Capt. Thomas Latter 67th Bengal N.I., Deputy Commissioner at Prome, who was assassinated December 1853.
Lt. E. Leeds, Asst. Executive Engineer, later Executive Engineer, Cantonments, 1857-1861.
Capt. Harold Lewis, Master Attendant, formerly of the "Champion."
Capt. H. Lloyd, Cantonment Magistrate 1855-1859.
C.C. Lowis, I.C.S., Chief Secretary 1908.
John Macgregor, member of the Municipal Committee 1894-1899, Vice-President 1898-1899, benefactor of the city.
Sir May Oung, Home Member 1924-1925.
Leading to the mills in Upper Pazundaung.
American Baptist settlement at Ahlone.
The Muslim merchants who settled in that quarter of the town.
W.A. Nicol, member of the Municipal Committee 1893-1895.
Dr. T.F. Pedley, Health officer 1883-1890, member of the Municipal Committee 1893-1895, 1905-1908.
H.A. Peppin, member of the Municipal Committee 1897-1904.
Sir Arthur Phayre, first Commissioner of Pegu.
G. Philpott, Bombay Burmah Trading Corp.
W.O. Rowett, member of the Municipal Committee 1891-1893, 1899-1900.
St. John’s College.
Rev’d. J.N. Simpson, Headmaster, Diocesan School, 1865-1867.
After a distinguished Mon gentleman who, born in 1776, was Governor of Dalla under the Burmese, fled to Moulmein in 1827; became Sitke under the British; rendered valuable service in 1852; organised the re-gilding of the Shwe Dagon in 1854; and died at Twante in 1869.
Capt. T.P. Sparks, Deputy Commissioner, Rangoon.
Sir R.C. Stewart, commanded in Burma 1890-1895.
Municipal Engineer 1890-1903.
Municipal Health Officer 1890-1895.
Tank on site of present Pegu Club tennis court.
A. Rivers Thompson, Chief commissioner 1875-1878.
Probably a solders’ name for the old Magistrate’s Boundary Rd.
Military transport lines.
Member of the Municipal Committee 1899-1911.
American Baptist missionary, founded the Baptist settlement at Ahlone in 1852.
Municipal Secretary 1906-1912.
The east-west roads were named;-
Montgomerie St. Commissioner Rd.
A wealthy Armenian contractor and stevedore who owned the first hotel in Rangoon, erected alongside this road.
From the circumstance that it was the main business thoroughfare.
The projected canal.
The designer of the town-plan.
Dr. William Montgomerie.
Sir Arthur Phayre’s residence was here.
West (beyond Godwin Road, Lanmadaw Quarter)
Lt.-Col. W.S. Oliphant, Chief Engr. of the P.W.D. late 1860’s,70’s.
Major J.F.J. Stevenson, Commissioner of Pegu Divn. 1862-68.
From the kyaungs of Lanmadaw.
Lt. J.M. Williams, Executive Engr. in the 1860’s and later Chief Engineer.
Capt. H.P. Keighly, Executive Engr. in the 1850’s.
Marked the limit of the town as envisaged at this period.
This list above does not pretend to be exhaustive, a complete record of all the street names of Rangoon would run into several hundred. It is merely a statement of some of the more notable names. Obvious place names such as Kemmendine Road are omitted.
Names of streets in the Cantonments have in many cases not been traced, probably they are derived from the names of military officers, but the unfortunate destruction of the Cantonment records renders it impossible to obtain accurate information. Even an examination of the records of the India Office has left the majority of these names unidentified.
After the 1st A-B war three place-names of Rangoon derive from the British occupation. The name “Dalla” as applied to Maingthu became confirmed, the name “Monkey Point” was adopted by the soldiers for the extremity of Queen’s Island “ from its being a favourite resort of the mimic tribe, which would here fearlessly come down to the waterside to solicit contributions from each boat that glided by” and the bar at the entrance of the port received the name “the Hastings” after, presumably, the former Governor-Genl. the Marques of Hastings. A place-name, which is no longer used, is Sale’s Pagoda,” after Lt. Sale, later General Sale of Jalalabad fame, who was stationed there with a picket, this Pagoda, now the Signal Pagoda was also sometimes called McCreagh’s Pagoda, after Brigadier McCreagh. (... The signalling station was at the Sale Barracks, where the pagoda formerly known as Sale’s Pagoda was used for the purpose and thus acquired the name of Signal Pagoda.)